Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Friday, October 22, 2010

THE BARN


From kindergarten through fifth grade, I lived in Blaine, Washington, and still consider Blaine my “hometown.” Dad was the minister of the Methodist church on the corner of 4th and H Streets, and next to the church, on 4th Street, was the parsonage, our house. The main downtown street of Blaine was only two blocks away, yet in our yard, behind our house, was a barn.

This barn was almost a magical place to me. Attached to it was a garage we didn’t use, and it was in this garage that the meetings of the local chapter of the Mighty Mouse Fun Club were held, based on the six issues of the Mighty Mouse Fun Club Magazine, published in the mid 1950’s. I was president.

We built a duck pen outside along the south wall of the barn, to house my pet duck. We got the duck when he was a yellow duckling, and he thought I was his mother. He would follow me whenever I let him, wherever I went. I would walk along the main street downtown with a little duckling right behind me. My Dad once used him as an object lesson in church. To illustrate how we should follow our Master, Dad had me walk up the center aisle with my duckling walking behind me. The congregation loved it. But at one point, my duckling turned and went over to a man sitting in the pew. As everyone laughed, Dad explained how sometimes we’re led astray.

The duck grew up, mainly in the pen, but I would let him loose in the yard, too, and dig up worms for him. Even full-grown, he faithfully followed me; but eventually we thought he should have a mate, and we got a female duck to share his life with him. It was then that he stopped following me. One day, while both ducks were loose in the yard, a dog came and attacked the female. I managed to chase the dog away, but after that, both ducks turned mean, and they would often run up behind us and nip at our ankles. The fun of having ducks was over, and we didn’t keep them long after that.

We got a rabbit, too, a white rabbit, and named it Bunson, after the rabbit in the grade school reading books. We built a hutch against the barn’s south wall, and I was amazed at the hill of brown pellets growing under the hutch. One day, though, I came home to find Dad walking away down the alley, towards downtown, holding Bunson. I knew he was going to the butcher shop, and none of my screaming and yelling and crying did any good. A few days later, there was rabbit meat on the table for dinner. My sister, Linda, and I didn’t touch it.

The barn was mostly empty inside, except for some things we were storing, and some boxes of things left there by past residents. During these years I had a recurring dream about a deer that could change into a man. His name was Furryhop and he was my superhero, and when I dreamt of getting into terrible danger, Furryhop would come and save me. He often stayed in the barn, and these dreams were so vividly real to me, that one morning I went out into the barn and actually called his name. He didn’t show, but my eye did catch an old, hardcover book in one of the boxes. It was Monster Rally by Charles Addams. This was my introduction to dark humor, and to the fascinating work of the man who would later inspire “The Addams Family” on TV and in movies. Being the son of a preacher, I didn’t know how well this book would be appreciated at home, so I half hid it, and gazed at the dark cartoons almost secretly. It was like a guide to a world I had never known existed, and I loved it.

Ben Gaskell lived next to us, on H Street. He was balding, smoked cigars, was generally unfriendly, and I was wary of him. But his backyard was beside our barn, and a high window in the barn was just at the right level to climb out of and into Ben Gaskell’s apple tree. To this day, I can’t remember apples as good as those tart apples were. Ben Gaskell would have chased me away from his tree, but he never saw me climb into it from the barn, and I would sit in its branches for hours, enjoying the fruit.

Nowadays the barn is no longer there. The church became several things, including a thrift store, and finally burned down. Our house was eventually turned into a restaurant, then a house again, and finally was moved to another location in Blaine. The gravel road we used to walk to school on has been severed by the Interstate 5 freeway. But still, much of Blaine remains the same. And as I walk down its sidewalks, during my rare visits, along with the clean air, filtered by the salt of Semiahmoo Bay, I breathe these wonderful memories, and I’m home.




______
For the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.


1 comment:

  1. Here's a comment my sister, Linda, emailed me:

    Those days were so special to both of us for different reasons, but a lot of the same reasons too. I have fond memories of that barn too. We used to play Grocery Store and Restaurant out there. Mom would give us empty boxes of grocery items to "stock" and we'd wait on tables etc. Do you remember that at all? Before we moved there the barn was used as a gymnasium for local young people. There were basketball goals at each end, even though it wasn't a very big area. The parsonage was also used for young people to come and go, they would play ping pong, that was set up in what became our dining room, and play games on folding tables set up in our living room. The minister, before Dad, was a bachelor (I think his name was Rev. Sloan) and it took a while for the word to get around that it was now a private home!!! We'd be sitting in the living room watching TV and all of a sudden the front door would open and in would come teenage kids....they were as surprised to see us as we were to see them!

    I also remember Bartholomew, the duck. I remember how he use to follow you downtown to Royal's Drug Store. You would go in and read comic books (for quite a while), he would look thru the glass door waiting for you. He would step aside to let others go in and out, then when you came out and start down the sidewalk, he'd be right behind you! He never tried to follow anyone else!!

    The way I remember Dad taking the rabbit to the butcher is: I didn't know he was going to "get rid" of him, and I didn't think Mom knew it either, maybe she did....especially if you yelled and cried, etc. But I remember Mom refused to cook him, so he took it/him across the street to McKinney's, and Mrs. McKinney cooked the "Rabbit Dinner" and invited Dad over. I'm pretty sure that is right. I still love to visit Blaine too. My 50 year class reunion is next summer. I would love to go but doubt that I will. I sure hope I get to go out there at least one more time in my life, though.

    ReplyDelete