Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Sunday, April 10, 2011

LONELINESS, OPERATORS, AND DOG TREAT EATERS

It was a mistake, going to Libby, Montana, two states away from home, for my first real job after high school. The St. Regis Lumber Company had promised to hire me, but I was given a “maintenance” position, which meant that I had to fill in wherever needed. One day I’d be sweeping a floor. When two men had quit, I suddenly had to take their place by myself, stacking heavy pallets as they rolled off a large belt, trying to keep up, and working so hard that I expected to end up somewhere at the bottom of a pile of pallets. One day I worked with a saw, having to listen to its screaming sound for hours with no ear protection. The next day I was a carpenter’s assistant, but when the carpenter told me what to do, I couldn’t hear him because of the loud ringing in my ears from the previous day, and all the while he was frustrated with his apparently deaf helper.

I had just moved to Libby so had no friends there, and I could never be with anyone at the lumber company long enough to make a friend. The work was erratic and often unbearable, and I was miserable. I would telephone home occasionally, feeling awfully lonesome, but that took what seemed to me a lot of money I had to slide into the slots of those phone booths. One wonderful thing of the Sixties, though, is that there were still real, live, telephone operators. And more than once I went into a payphone late at night and struck up a conversation with the operator, always a very pleasant woman who had the insight of recognizing the voice of a lonesome young man. I wish I had a recording of those conversations to cheer up people today. As busy as these operators must have been, they took time for me and encouraged me and eased my loneliness.

After a month, I quit my job, and bought a train ticket back home to western Washington. I sat there on the train, feeling like a failure and still very alone. I had no idea what to do after giving up on my first real job. Right then I needed a friend.

Before leaving Libby, I had bought some treats for my dog at home--a box of Lolli Pups. As the train rattled its way into the night, I became bored enough, and hungry enough, finally to open the box of Lolli Pups and try one. Suddenly a young, attractive and very pleasant woman came from somewhere across the aisle and sat down next to me. “Did you just eat one of those?” she asked, surprised.

“Yeah,” I said, “they’re for my dog back home. They’re really not too bad.”

And the two of us were carried into a fascinating conversation that cheered me up incredibly. This angel from somewhere across the aisle was the friend I needed. I never learned her address or even her name, but she made my whole future look bright. By the time she got off the train in Spokane, she herself had eaten a Lolli Pup. And I continued on, contented and smiling.

There are countless angels bringing us comfort and help in our lives. This is not news to you. Above are just a couple examples of the ones who have helped me.


______
For the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.


1 comment:

  1. Y'know, you remind me of me when I was just a young pup. "I didn't eat any lolli-pups though"

    Life is really hard for some of us when we're first starting out. I think it we learn to appreciate life;and later on down the road we're better for it. I do believe it beats having everything handed to you on a silver platter, so to speak.

    I'm liking your stories more all the time. GOOD THING YOU RETIRED.lol

    ReplyDelete