Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Friday, April 22, 2011

THE REAL McCOYS


As far as good, solid, meaningful and entertaining TV shows go, "The Real McCoys" was the real McCoy. I was 8 when it came out, 14 when it ended, and it's got to have had a great influence on my love of family and perhaps on how I could know my wife for only two months and then enjoy being married to her for 38 years and counting.  It was my wife's favorite show when she was young, and my folks and I gathered to watch it every week, too. This series constantly presented problems and overcame them, with humor, with tears, not only teaching family values but love itself.  Grandpa Amos McCoy and his kin moved from West Virginia to California and into the hearts of post-war America.  Walter Brennan, who played Amos, became everyone's grandpa.  I always got a kick out of the fact that Richard Crenna, who played squeaky-voiced Walter Denton on "Our Miss Brooks" and hillbilly Luke on "The Real McCoys" would one day be the commanding officer of Rambo!

In the episode we just watched on DVD, Grandpa McCoy says to his grandson: "There you go, Luke; let that be a lesson to you. Just thank the good Lord you got two strong arms and a mind to work. And don't ever be ashamed 'cause you ain't got no money. 'Cause in this world, you got plenty of company."





______
For the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment