Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

THE PHONING ANGEL

During the time I was working as a bank teller and founding the American Tarantula Society, Micki and I lived in an upstairs duplex apartment on G Street in Bellingham, Washington. One night the telephone woke me up. It was around one or two in the morning, and I was pissed! I stumbled down the hallway and picked up the receiver and all there was was a dial tone. Then I was furious! I hung up the phone with a slam and began my mad sleepy way back to the bedroom. But as I passed the thermostat on the wall, I heard a strange little pop. I stopped and looked at the gadget, and noticed a little hole where a screw was missing. Peeping into the tiny hole, I saw a yellow light, like a flame. I put my mouth up to the hole and blew a fast puff of air into it, then looked again. It was dark inside. I got a screwdriver and took off the thermostat’s cover, and was shocked to find melted insulation and charred wood! I had blown a tiny flame out that would have grown into a fire, destroying the apartment from an inner wall and trapping us in the bedroom. After shutting off the breaker switch, I went back to bed and told Micki about the miracle. I don’t know how the wiring initially started the fire, but I know who telephoned us.


______
For the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.


2 comments: