Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

PERFECT PARADE PERISCOPE


In the late 1950's in Blaine, Washington, on Martin Street between Peace Portal Drive and 3rd Street, there was a shop where a man manufactured his own invention -- a periscope made out of wood, with a seat on the top end and a rubber tip on the bottom end. He had a patent on it. It was the perfect parade tool, because you could sit on this one-legged stool while watching a parade, and if the crowd gathered in front of you and got in your way, you could use the periscope to watch the parade over their heads.

His shop was a garage and on nice days he kept the big door open, so it was impossible for a curious kid to walk by without asking him all sorts of questions. I was amazed. He was making the periscopes both with the seat and without one, and somehow selling them. Of course I ran home and told my parents about this brilliant, industrious gentleman, and I ended up with his parade tool. Even though I never did have the opportunity to use it at a parade, I did have a blast using it at home in water wars with the neighbor kids and in games of hide-and-seek, etc. It was one of my prized possessions for many years, until finally it wasn't there. I don't remember, or never knew, what happened to it.

Anyway, although in respect for this now deceased man's patent, I don't recommend making these to sell, but see no problem in making one for your own use. You'll be the envy of all parade-goers.


______
For the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment