Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Thursday, May 2, 2013

EXPERIENCING MATTHEW 10:19-20


"...Do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say; for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you."

Reverend Larson was a Congregationalist minister in Everett, Washington. Because I was searching, and because Larson was a friend of my older brother, I ended up at an adult Bible study class in the minister's home. My brother was there, so was Mrs. Larson, and about ten others I had never before met.

I don't know if Rev. Larson was representative of the Congregationalist denomination, but he didn't believe in the physical resurrection of Jesus. When someone asked him about those who saw Jesus alive after He was crucified, Larson responded that Christ was seen again only in the minds of those who knew Him.

Many such perturbing fancies were put forth that night by this well-meaning minister, and I was quite bothered. Finally I opened my mouth, but know it wasn't me who spoke. At the time, I suffered from "stage fright" and tended to be quiet in groups, especially where I didn't know the people. My voice wasn't angry or argumentative. I remember it began, "I just don't see why you can't believe..." From there, out came the Gospel, in flawless narrative, in a way I never could have composed it, including the supreme sacrifice on the cross for our salvation and the physical resurrection of our Lord and Savior.

Afterwards there was a moment of silence. Then, finally, a woman across from me said, "That's what I was always taught." And others spoke up in agreement. The poor pastor suddenly had a little revolution in his living room. Not one person uttered a word against what had come out of my mouth, and even Rev. Larson didn't take issue with it. No more heresy was spoken that evening.

I myself didn't have the oral skill or the gift of persuasion to alter the course of a Bible study and still the voices of discord, and the way the words flowed convince me that it was not I but the Spirit who spoke them. When we were leaving that night, confirmation was given to me by none other than Rev. Larson's wife. She stopped me at the door, looked into my eyes, and said quietly, "Thank you for setting him straight."



______
For the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment