Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

COUCH, SOFA, DAVENPORT, CHESTERFIELD, SETTEE, OR DIVAN




When I was growing up, my family called our couch a davenport. When I heard other people refer to theirs as a couch, I thought it was countrified. Well it turns out that Davenport was the name of a series of couches made in Massachusetts by A.H. Davenport and Company, now defunct. The furniture was so popular at the time that davenport became a generic trademark, like aspirin.

Now that I'm grown up and have my own family, we call our couch a couch, although I have called it a sofa. Come to find out, the term couch is used in North America and Australia, while the term sofa is generally used in the United Kingdom. In Canada it's often called a chesterfield.

Then there is a settee, which usually seats two people, like a loveseat, but sometimes seats more. And there's the divan, a long low sofa without a back or arms, usually placed against a wall.

Now that that's straightened out, when I was growing up, my family called our kitchen counter the sideboard. Now if I ever use the term sideboard my kids look at me funny.





______
For the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.


1 comment:

  1. Hello, I read your blog occasionally, and I own a similar one, and I was just wondering if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can advise? I get so much lately it’s driving me insane, so any assistance is very much appreciated.
    “Bespoke sofa in UK”

    ReplyDelete