Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Sunday, September 22, 2024

TAFFY

 


I wanted a puppy.  I was 13, living in the tiny, unincorporated town of Allen, Washington, and I wanted a puppy to raise as my friend and companion.  So my father went to the dog pound to get a puppy for me, and came home with Taffy.

Taffy was not a puppy, but an old dog, and I was upset.  She was not what I dreamed of, and in my selfishness I complained, and probably threw a tantrum.  Dad explained that while at the pound, he learned that this poor Cocker Spaniel was scheduled to be put to sleep the following day.  Dad saved her life and brought her home, hoping I would accept her.  I didn't.

Taffy showed no training.  She jumped on us with joy and muddy feet.  We didn't even take the chance to find out if she were housebroken, but chained her up beside the doghouse by the garage, where she would always be dirty and never be allowed to jump on us.

She loved us dearly, but I didn't show her love, other than bringing her food and water.  Beside the doghouse was a woodpile leaning against the garage, and rats were using it for their home.  Taffy was so lonely and depressed that she would sit in the doghouse with her head lying in the doorway, watching the rats come and eat her food from her bowl.  I was grossed out by the rats, and so Taffy got even fewer visits from me.

After a few weeks, Dad sadly took Taffy back to the pound, and she was euthanized.

Because of my selfishness, this dog was abandoned and put to death.  This has haunted me all my life.  Whenever I'm proud of myself and think I'm so good, I can look at this picture of Taffy and be very humbled.  God has used this innocent, loving dog for a lifelong lesson.  He knows what it's like to be betrayed and abandoned and to die loving those who never returned His love.

O how I would love and hug that dog now!



_____

For the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment