If you're old enough to remember vintage comic books, you remember full-page ads from Honor House, Johnson Smith, etc., and you probably remember seeing this:
Most of the things advertised turn out to be a disappointment, but not this. I've had two in my life - one I ordered from an ad such as this and misplaced after decades; and another I got at least a decade ago and still use. The compass still works fine, as does everything, but the thing I use it for most often is the magnifying glasses. I fold out the large lenses and double them up, looking through both of them, if I want to see something really close, like a tiny bug or tiny print etched into the back of a watch or medal, etc. My expensive digital microscope bit the dust, but this method works good enough for my needs.
Several companies still sell these, and I intend always to have one on hand. Here's just one you can order, for $5.85 plus postage.

.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Would love to here from you.
No spam or links, please.