"When life knocks you to your knees, which it always does and always will - well, that's the best position in which to pray, isn't it?"
- Ethel Barrymore
"In war there is no second prize for the runner-up."
- Gen. Omar Bradley
Lorraine Cugat, accused of having 12 boy friends while married to rumba king Xavier Cugat:
"I'm flattered at your confidence in my ability."
"A low neckline is something you can approve of and look down on at the same time."
- Night-club dancer Winnie Garrett
"Bend the knees, keep the body upright, take a firm grip on the object to be lifted and push forward with the leg muscles."
- Greater NY Safety Council on how to carry brides over the threshold
"We have got the bull by the tail and we've got to look him straight in the face and that's an extremely difficult operation."
- Retired Gen. Walter Krueger, on the Korean situation - 1950
"I told the doctor I was worried about my health, but he assured me I had no health to worry about."
- Joe E. Lewis
"It goes like holy smoke."
-Princess Margaret, referring to her new car. - 1951
"I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."
- Groucho Marx
"A polite man is one who listens with interest to things he knows all about when they are told to him by a person who knows nothing about them."
- Spain's Count Alfonso Medina
"No wonder her voice comes out so well. Look where it's been."
- Frank Morgan on Jane Russell's singing - 1949
"He is so tough, he's ashamed his typewriter has a ribbon."
- Harold Robbins
"Sex appeal seems to be something I just can't catch on a piece of canvas . . . nobody ever whistled at one of my women."
- Norman Rockwell
"I'd throw it away tomorrow if I could find the right man. I want to get married and have three children. I'd much rather leave a few children as my contribution than the finest screen credits in the world."
- Lizabeth Scott
"People in my district don't want a housing bill. They live in log cabins, cover the roof with bull's hide and use the tails for lightning rods."
- MO Rep. Dewey Short - 1949
"We do not want war any more than the West does, but we are less interested in peace than the West and therein lies the strength of our position."
- Joseph Stalin
"An obedient wife married to a henpecked husband."
- resort owner Al Tisch on the ideal marriage
Historical novel: "A book with a shapely wench on the jacket but no jacket on the shapely wench."
-Earl Wilson
Complete Contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon
No comments:
Post a Comment
Would love to here from you.
No spam or links, please.