Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Monday, February 18, 2008

OLD MAN PERSEUS

When I was just beginning junior high school, I was fascinated by mythology, and one of my favorite stories was that of Perseus and Medusa. I wrote then a poem about this story, with my own twist at the end. As you know, anyone who cast his eyes upon the gorgon Medusa would turn to stone. With this poem I received my favorite compliment more than once: "You didn't write that!"

OLD MAN PERSEUS

Red flashing eyes and viper hair
And eagle claws had she,
Grayish cheeks and flapping wings,
Enough to make one flee!

I ventured out to slay her
Near the raging sea,
Beside her were two other ones,
Uglier than she.

I closed my eyes and swung my sword
At that ferocious gorgon,
But even without looking
It was worse than slaying a dragon.

I put her head in a goatskin bag
And took it back with me;
I held it up before the king
And he never more shall be.

But now I'm old and married,
With a family all my own;
But what good is a family...
When they've all turned to stone?



______
For the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment