Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Monday, February 18, 2008

THE WAR


It began with water coming out of a drain pipe onto the sandy beach at Howarth Park in Everett, Washington. My brother and his sons and I thought it would be fun to build a dam of sand across the narrow stream that ran down the beach and into Puget Sound. At one point this stream ran around a small boulder, and we picked this site for our dam. It took some time, but eventually we had blocked the water enough to form a miniature lake beside the boulder.

But then, out of boredom, my nephews wanted to destroy the dam, and so one of them began to kick at it. My brother and I stopped him, and so began a war of sorts. My nephews tried again and again to attack the dam, and my brother and I defended it. My brother even crouched atop the boulder to keep guard.

So his sons went further upstream and built another dam, diverting the water another way, and our lake dried up. So my brother and I ran up and destroyed their dam. Eventually the fun faded and real argument began. One nephew was even crying, and there was a lot of yelling. Our war went on, with dams being destroyed and rebuilt, with pushing and anger.

But then the tide came in. The edge of the Sound had crept up on our disputes, and finally we watched a wave come in and with one simple swoosh wipe out our dam and little lake. Soon there was no sign that we had ever done anything on the beach, and we had to back away in order to keep our shoes dry. This tremendous demonstration of God's power made our bickering seem so petty and our tears so wasted. When the day is done, looking back, whose day was it really?


______
For the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment