Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Thursday, August 7, 2008

THERE ARE A LOT OF CRAZIES OUT THERE



When I was about to leave on my first cross-country hitchhiking trip in 1967, at age 18, people were telling me, "It's not as safe as it used to be. There are a lot of crazies out there." When I had my wife and just-under-two-year-old son join me in a cross-country hitchhiking trip in 1980, a co-worker yelled at me when we got back, because, "It's not as safe as it used to be. There are a lot of crazies out there." And now our youngest son, himself 18, is planning a cross-country hitchhiking trip, and many are warning us, "It's not as safe as it used to be. There are a lot of crazies out there."

But...there was one time, during my first hitchhiking journey, that I was indeed scared. I was on my way from my sister's in South Carolina to Washington, D.C., riding in a car in Virginia, driven by a quiet man in his twenties, several years older than I, when suddenly he turned off the highway onto a dirt road, went over some train tracks and into the woods, and stopped. It seemed a horribly suspicious thing to do, and, to make matters worse, he turned and asked me, "Do you have a knife?"

Okay, he appeared to be about to kill me, and with my own knife! But being the nice guy I was, I said, "Yeah," and took out of my pocket the stiletto I had filed down for quick release of its four-inch blade, and handed it to him. He then got out of the car and went back and opened the trunk, and I thought, okay, that's where he's going to put my body. Then suddenly my door flew open and out of the corner of my eye I saw the man holding something toward me; and I jumped with fear.

I looked, and saw that he was giving my folded knife back to me. Then he returned to the trunk and began working with clomps and clinks and squeaks, and finally I stepped out to see what was what. He had a flat tire! And he assumed that I knew he had a flat tire on the highway. He pulled off the main road to fix it safely, but his car trunk lock was broken and he needed a knife to get into the trunk for his spare and jack and lug wrench. Being the quiet fellow he was, he didn't want to bother me with a bunch of talk about what he thought I knew, and I sat down and handed lug nuts and a hub cap to the man who had caused me the worse fear in all of my hitchhiking travels several times across the U.S. (Although rolling over in a semi truck wasn't too soothing either.)



______
For the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment