Butter Rum Cartoon

Butter Rum Cartoon
CLICK HERE FOR CONTENTS OF THIS WHOLE BLOG, OR USE THE SEARCH BAR BELOW

Search the Butter Rum Cartoon

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

MY FIRST BEER

When I was a kid, my parents and I went to a church picnic at a couple's house.  Dad was the preacher, so he and Mom were busy visiting while I meandered about the place. I came upon a group of people boasting about the fine, homemade, root beer that the couple had made and were serving, and I was handed a glass of it. I took a sip, and cringed.

I had never drunk homemade root beer before, nor had I ever drunk beer, but this definitely wasn't what I knew as root beer. And since I was about the only kid there, among all these adults, I figured this must be real beer! The whole world seemed to drop out from under me! I was so worried! I ran to Mom and Dad and, as soon as I could speak to them privately, warned them in a nervous whisper, "This is beer. They're giving everyone beer." I was scared to death that my parents might be tricked into drinking alcohol thinking it was root beer. Methodists especially are not supposed to drink alcohol. I remember the peculiar looks my parents gave me. They looked like they didn't believe me! My own parents were going to be corrupted, and I could do nothing about it! I was both terrified and furious.

Now, if you ask me what my favorite drink in the whole world is, I would say homemade root beer.



_____
If you liked this post, you may also enjoy the following:  Once Upon a Time There Was a Killer.
To see the complete contents of the Butter Rum Cartoon, click here.


1 comment:

  1. Dale, believe me, you would be the ONLY reason I would ever visit Branson Missouri!!

    While reading this, and knowing you so many years, I can imagine you doing this, your parents must have gotten a real kick out of this!! Uncle Miltie

    ReplyDelete