It was election day in 1972, and Dad and I were in line to vote. I said to Dad, "We're just going to cancel out each other's vote. Why are we here?"
He turned around and looked at me with a pleasant expression, and said, "I'm hoping you'll change your mind."
I didn't. I made a fool of myself and voted for George McGovern. I had gotten out of the Army the year before, during which Richard Nixon was President. I didn't like the Army, so I didn't like Nixon. Simple.
But Richard Nixon won by a landslide, carrying 49 out of 50 states. McGovern only won Massachusetts and the District of Columbia. It was one of the most lopsided presidential elections in U.S. history.
Nixon resigned over the Watergate scandal, and I was happy. But since then I've learned more and have grown more. And I regret not making Dad happy in 1972 by changing my mind.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Would love to here from you.
No spam or links, please.